Triple digit temperatures? Your union brings the heat.
Congratulations! We all made it to Skandera’s last day in office. While we’re weary about Chris Ruszkowski being her replacement, we can all celebrate a little bit today. On her way out, Skandera cited our union as being her number one obstacle in trying to introduce her regressive, detrimental education “reforms” here in New Mexico. Be proud that you are part of a member-driven organization that fights for our educators, our students and our communities.
This week, AFT members across the nation, along with our strong allies, are focused on contacting senators before they vote on “Trump Care”. This vote should happen very soon. If passed, Trump Care will devastate millions of Americans, particularly the elderly, those with preexisting conditions, and our students who depend on Medicaid for public school services such as OT, PT, and speech therapy.
It’s important that we all stay informed and active regarding this healthcare legislation; these decisions impact our schools and our families.
- Senate Republicans plan to jam through Trump Care
- Therapists: cuts to Medicaid means many students won’t have access to IEP mandated therapy
- Nurses: Our code of ethics requires us to fight Trump Care
- 13 Men, and no women, are writing new G.O.P. health bill in the Senate
We are fortunate to have Representatives and Senators that hold the line for our students and families! Be sure to send them a note with their contact information below!
- Thank Senator Martin Heinrich for standing strong against Trump Care! Email him here or Tweet him at @MartinHeinrich
- Thank Representative Michelle Lujan-Grisham for standing strong against Trump Care! Email her at Michelle.LujanGrisham@mail.house.gov or Tweet her @RepLujanGrisham
Here’s what’s happening locally and across the nation:
- New Mexico’s historic education lawsuit continues
- Lawsuit challenging vetoes may proceed
- After four years, Philadelphia Union and Philadelphia School District reach a contract agreement
- Ravich on the 96 billionaires buying school board elections
- Arizona lawmaker says “If [educators] want a better life, get a second job.” This is why electing pro-public education candidates is important!