On Friday, September 9th, scores of ATF members and community allies gathered for our ATF Union Pride Fundraiser and Happy Hour to raise money NM House members who are current and former ATF Members. The event was hosted by the ATF Unified COPE Committee which includes our sibling unions AFCP, UA-UNM and AFT NM Retirees.
ATF President Ellen Bernstein acted as Master of Ceremonies. Congresswoman Melanie Stansbury joined the program via video to support the re-election campaigns of NM Representatives Andrés Romero, Joy Garratt, Liz Thomson, Christine Trujillo, Natalie Figueroa, Debbie Sariñana, Miguel Garcia and Pamelya Herndon (honorary ATF member). Each of the candidates made rousing speeches about the importance of taking part in the democratic process and the work they will continue when they are re-elected. (Click on each speaker’s name to hear their comments.)
President Ellen Bernstein declared the 8 candidates “champions of education who have the backs of educators, students and labor,” stirring the attendees to dig deep. And did they ever!
ATF members and our friends raised over $5,300 to contribute to the campaigns of these fearless advocates for public education and workers’ rights. 4 of the representatives are locked in highly contested elections in swing districts. Acknowledging this, their House colleagues agreed to contribute their portion of the funds raised to the campaigns of Representatives Liz Thomson, Natalie Figueroa, Joy Garratt and Pamelya Herndon.
It is more important now than ever for ATF members to get involved by volunteering to help get out the vote. Here’s how you can contact the campaigns and plug in:
Rep. Pamelya Herndon, House District 28
- Contact Cole DeLaune, Field Director
- Phone: 731.444.2646 Email: email@example.com
Rep. Joy Garratt, House District 29
- Volunteers meet every Saturday 9-9:30am for coffee and snacks at 10308 Marin Drive, NW, 87114, then canvass.
- Coordinator: Karlyne Nordholm
- Phone: 505.463.5397 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Natalie Figueroa, House District 30
- Volunteers meet every Saturday at 9:30am.
- For volunteer information, email: Volunteer.Nataliefornewmexico@gmail.com
The Central New Mexico Labor Council is hosting our Get Out the Vote campaign for 2022 beginning Monday, September 19. This is a great way to meet union siblings from other occupations as we unify to reach out to union families.
- Union members can volunteer as much or as little as you can at 2 union halls in town. Stipends are available.
- The campaign operates 4-8pm Monday-Thursday and 10am-2pm Saturday. Just show up and get your materials and some quick training. Contact Yvonne Pino (505)249- 1144.
- East side location: LIUNA union hall 1030 San Pedro Dr. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110
- West Side location:IBEW 4921 Alexander Blvd. NE #A, Albuquerque , NM 87107
ATF members, get involved! Join COPE or increase your COPE contributions here.