With NM Congresswoman Deb Haaland’s confirmation to the U.S. Department of Interior, a Special Election will be held to choose her replacement. The Congressional District 1 Special Election 2021 will take place June 1st.
Our union has endorsed NM Representative Melanie Stansbury to fill Deb’s shoes. We need your help to put another pro-labor & pro-public education ally in Congress. The endorsement process was conducted by AFT NM’s Executive Committee upon the recommendation of your union’s Committee on Political Education and AFT-NM COPE.
Melanie Stansbury was born and raised in Albuquerque and attended APS schools. She hails from a solid working-class background and has displayed grit, resilience, and determination on her road to becoming an outstanding public servant who has twice flipped a once-solidly Republican House district. Her work in the state legislature has shown her to be a true friend of students, educators, and union members across our state.
Below, you’ll find everything you need to know about registering new voters, updating your registration, obtaining an absentee ballot, voting early and voting on election day.
Voting in this race is only one step toward keeping a true ally in Congress. We need you to help us by phone banking, dropping literature, and reaching out to other ATF members to get out the vote. You can sign up to help here. Volunteers will follow the most up-to-date social distancing orders.
So, dig out those walking shoes, tune up that telephone voice, and join us for a couple of hours to push Melanie Stansbury to victory!
Clerks will begin mailing absentee ballots to voters who have requested them May 4. You can also mail or hand deliver your completed absentee ballot starting May 4.
May 25 is the recommended final day for voters to mail absentee ballots.
All of the other options are available for voting through June 1 at 7:00 pm, but we highly recommend voting absentee and voting early.
Special CD1 Election Timeline:
- Clerks begin mailing absentee ballots to voters who have requested them.
- Online and paper voter registration close.
- Absentee Voting Begins – Mail or hand deliver your completed absentee ballot.
- In-person absentee and Same Day Registration (SDR) at Clerk’s Annex begins (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Early Voting and SDR expand, Monday to Saturday, most locations open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. See Bernalillo County Early Voting Sites here: https://www.bernco.gov/clerk/early-voting-locations.aspx
- Recommended final day for voter to mail absentee ballot.
- Election Day 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. See Bernalillo County voting locations here: https://www.bernco.gov/clerk/election-day-voting-locations.aspx