The Albuquerque Teachers Federation (ATF)/AFT/AFL-CIO is seeking candidates for position of Professional Staff Representative.
ATF represents over 6,500 teachers and other professional educators employed in Albuquerque Public Schools (APS). APS is an urban, rural, and suburban district—the largest school district in New Mexico.
ATF is the largest local teachers’ union in the state and is an affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). We are a progressive, professional union committed to educational excellence and social justice, and believe that the future well-being of our members depends on the success of our public schools. For more information, go to www.atfunion.org.
Candidates for the Professional Staff Representative must have strong problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
As a Professional Staff Representative, candidates will work toward the achievement of the ATF’s goals through member servicing, school organizing, advocacy, and disseminating accurate information.
The ideal candidate for the position has work experience in teaching, with labor, progressive nonprofit agencies, political organizations, and/or media.
Candidates must have excellent writing skills and a demonstrated knowledge of websites, email, and the production of informational flyers.
Critically, the ideal candidate is passionate about public education and enjoys working in a team environment. Candidates should be willing to “do what it takes” to reach our goals. Long and indeterminate hours are sometimes required.
Desirable Qualities and Skills
- Dedication to improving the position of public school employees and strengthening the role of organized labor through public actions, community relations, and legislative and political activity.
- Knowledge of current issues in K-12 public education.
- Excellent writing, speaking and analytic skills; the ability to analyze and articulate complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on teams.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to use appropriate strategies and interventions to deal with difficult individuals.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in resolving interpersonal disputes.
- Assess information and evidence while managing conflicting and changing priorities.
- Establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Ability to work under pressure; must be well-organized and self-motivated.
- Media outreach and communications experience.
- Knowledge of education and labor policy issues.
- Independent project management skills, detail-oriented self-starter.
- Strategic thinker, exercising a high level of judgment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Demonstrate outstanding listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Respect for and/or knowledge of the cultures of New Mexico.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree with a preference for a degree in education.
- Starting salary range: $50,000- $60,000 (or more) depending on experience.
- ATF provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and prescription drug, defined benefit pension plan, and long-term disability insurance as outlined in the staff Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- ATF staff works at the direction of the president.
- One year.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to:
Albuquerque Teachers Federation
530 Jefferson Street NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108
Electronic submissions may be sent to: email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, May 14, 2021.