New Teacher Orientation Is Back & In-Person!
It’s that time of year again! New Teacher Orientation will take place 8am-12:30pm on Saturday, July 31st at the Berna Facio Professional Development Center (3315 Louisiana Blvd., NE). Your union and district are thrilled to host this event in person!
Every year, Albuquerque Teachers Federation (ATF) and APS welcome new educators to our district by offering great professional development courses to help you start your year off right. New educators also have the opportunity to “shop” through gently-used resources to set up their classrooms.
At this event, you will:
- Take practical classes taught by experienced educators to get your year off to a great start!
- Learn more about the APS/ATF mentor program for new teachers!
- Meet your Superintendent, Scott Elder, and your Union President, Dr. Ellen Bernstein
- “Shop” at the ATF Educators’ Emporium for FREE teaching & classroom materials donated by veteran educators! We collect high-quality materials from retirees and folks who’ve cleaned out their classrooms and make them available for our new educators.
- Be eligible to win great prizes donated by local businesses.
- Have great snacks and coffee.
Here are brief summaries of the classes we are offering this year.
- Your Restorative Classroom- Successful Practical Classroom Management Techniques: This session will include how to build student consensus on rules and procedures and how to set up your classroom for maximum student buy-in. We will address how to create positive learning environments to best fit the needs of your students.
- Navigating APS Technology: This session will include how to log into the basic systems set up within APS to include Synergy, sub services, attendance, Google Classroom as well as how to navigate your new email system.
- Know Your Rights: APS employees are very fortunate to have many rights that are essential to the best professional service guaranteed to them in the APS/ATF Negotiated Agreement. Learn about some of your basic rights like protected prep time, class sizes, a site-based mentor and more.
You can sign up for New Teacher Orientation below or call the ATF Office at 262-2657. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Elementary Educators sign up here.
- Secondary (6-12) Educators sign up here.
- Essential & Related Services Educators (counselors, nurses, social workers, therapists, etc.) sign up here.
See you at the New Teacher Orientation!